Thursday, March 6, 2008

Poetry...

I have always had an appreciation for poetry. With my mom being a second grade teacher who also loved poetry, it came pretty easy for me. The earliest poems I can remember are from Shel Silverstein. My mom had books of his poetry and I loved looking through them and looking at the illustrations. When I was telling a guy friend (who happens to be a journalism major) about this poetry folder I was working on. He told me he knew a poem I needed to put in. It happened to be Ebenezer Bleezer by Jack Prelutskey. When I told him I already had it in there, he thought it was funny because no one else knew that poem. It was so interesting to hear that. So here is my collection of new, old, and completely random works of poetry…my poetry date.


Wong, J.S. (2007). Twist: Yoga poems. New York: MKM Books
Low Crow – Janet Wong
Janet Wong’s poems are so profound, even if they are short like this. I like the underlying message from this poem because it does not just apply to the yoga pose.

http://www.poetry-online.org/childrens_poetry_resource_index.htm
A Song from the Suds
a poem by Louisa May Alcott
I think this poem is simply entertaining.

http://www.ricw.state.ri.us/lessons/143.htm Angelou, M.
LIFE DOESN’T FRIGHTEN ME
By: Maya Angelou
This poem is just inspirational. It could simply be a read aloud and it would have an impact. It could bring some really in depth questions.

Silverstein, S. (1981). A Light in the Attic. New York: Harper & Row.
No Difference – Shel Silverstein
This poem has such a good message for a classroom

http://www.cswnet.com/~erin/child.htm Carrol, L., Taylor, J.
The Star - Jane Taylor
Every child learns “twinkle, twinkle”. I think teaching the whole rhyme would be great and it could a great craft lesson.

http://www.cswnet.com/~erin/child.htm Carrol, L., Taylor, J. 
Jabberwocky
- Lewis Carroll
I don’t know how to use this specifically in the classroom, but I just think this is so interesting.
 Nesbitt, K. (2008). www.poetry4kids.com/index.php
You Can Argue with a Tennis Ball
– Kenn Nesbitt
This poem just looks funny to read to children in the
classroom

http://www.poetry-online.org/childrens_poetry_resource_index.htm
A Light Exists in Spring – Emily Dickinson
I think this has words that kids may not know or understand, so I could use it for vocabulary purposes. It could also be used for a seasonal lesson


Hoberman, M.A. (1991). Fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers: A collection of family
poems. New York: Scholastic.
When I Grow Up – Mary Ann Hoberman
This is a fun poem to read in the classroom. It could be an extension of an activity about what the students want to be when they grow up.

Lewis, J.P. (1998). Doodle Dandies: Poems that take shape. New York: Aladdin
Paperbacks
A Swing and a Miss – J. Patrick Lewis
I really like this poem because I think it could reach out to boys, and even some girls, in elementary school.

Lewis, J.P. (1998). Doodle Dandies: Poems that take shape. New York: Aladdin
Paperbacks
Big Cat – J. Patrick Lewis
This had such a cool picture. This could be really great for a rainforest themed unit or when teaching about animals.

Katz, A. (2003). I’m still here in the bathtub: Brand new silly dilly songs. New York:
Scholastic
He’s Got the Whole Beach in His Pants – Alan Katz
(to the tune of “He’s got the Whole World in His Hands)
This is entertaining to read or have the children read or sing aloud in the classroom.

Silverstein, S. (1981). A Light in the Attic. New York: Harper & Row.
Ations – Shel Silverstein
You could do more than one lesson with this poem. The –ation words would be good for a vocabulary or phonics lesson. It is also good for teaching social skills.

http://www.poetry-online.org/childrens_poetry_resource_index.htm
If No One Ever Marries Me - Laurence Alma-Tadema
This is humorous to me now. My roommate and I liked this so much, I had to add it. It is from a children’s poetry website, so I think it qualifies.

Silverstein, S. (1981). A Light in the Attic. New York: Harper & Row.
Prayer of a Selfish Child – Shel Silverstein
I just think this is funny. It could be a funny part of a lesson about sharing.

Silverstein, S. (1981). A Light in the Attic. New York: Harper & Row.
No Difference – Shel Silverstein
This poem has such a good message for a classroom.

Prelutskey, J. (1984). The New Kid on the Block. New York: Scholastic.
Bleezer’s Ice Cream – Jack Prelutskey
I remember chanting Ebenezer Bleezer after I heard this poem. It was one of my favorites.

Prelutskey, J. (1984). The New Kid on the Block. New York: Scholastic.
I’m the Single Most Wonderful Person I Know – Jack Prelutskey
I remember this poem from when I was young. My mom has always read Jack Prelutskey poems to me and I always enjoyed them so much.

Prelutskey, J. (1984). The New Kid on the Block. New York: Scholastic.
You’re Nasty and You’re Loud – Jack Prelutskey
This poem is humorous to me. I think if read in a classroom the kids would laugh but maybe even think a little bit about how they treat others.

Prelutskey, J. (1984). The New Kid on the Block. New York: Scholastic.
I Should Have Stayed in Bed Today – Jack Prelutskey
I like this because not only is it funny, it also has a fun message. Everyone has bad days, and I think this could be used as a funny way to just remind kids that it will be okay.

 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather, I started a poetry site where people can post their poems for others to view and comment on. I would love to have some of your work if you want. There is a link to my site off of my blog. Peace