Thursday, April 10, 2008

Chapter 16 - Controversial Books

Tunnel, M.O. & Jacobs, J.S. (2008). Children's Literature, Briefly. Pearson: New Jersey

The opening line of this chapter was very attention-grabbing. "Books are dangerous. They can undermine morals, fuel revolution, and indoctrine our children." I thought this was poignant. I do feel that certain things should be kept from children simply because of age, but to ban books seems wrong. I found the list of incidents with controversial books very interesting. The one about the woman who thought she was a witch and complained about a Halloween book was especially interesting to me. I just think she sounds ridiculous. I think it's funny that so many books considered classics and honorable are currently or were very controversial in their time.

No comments: